3rd June 2012 (Taliesin Arts Centre)
A Night at the Musicals was a collaborative musical event involving Shoreline Theatre, Choral Society, Musicians’ Society, Dance Society, Gospel Society, and Glee Society. In addition, local school children sang one number under the name “Swansea Showstoppers”
The event was planned and produced by the Presidents and committees of the various societies involved, in particular Sarah Carr and Nathan Jones from the Choral Society who co-ordinated rehearsal timetables and liaised with Steven Hirst to create the structure and running order of the entire performance.
The script was written by Rebecca Cooper. The story had to fit around a number of pre-selected songs and dance numbers and told the very tongue-in-cheek story of a young boy who wants to become a musical sensation but is held back by his musical-hating father who urges him to take up more “manly” pursuits, such as football. After meeting up with a rather dapper guardian angel, the boy travels to the future and embraces his destiny.
The play was also directed by Rebecca Cooper.
It was organised to raise money and awareness for the Prince’s Foundation for Children and the Arts, for which over £400 was successfully raised.
It was performed in the Taliesin Arts Centre on Sunday 3rd June.
Check out photos from the performance here
James – Lawrence Porter
Angel – Rex Liddiard
Teacher – Joshua Sweet
TV presenter – Fred Cooper
Dad – Steven Hirst
Wizard 1 – Jimmy Ward
Wizard 2 – Liam Mayle
Sandy – Imogen Hughes
Mark – Richard Stratford
Girls – Rachael Maddison / Rachel Evans / Sarah Carr
1. We Will Rock You from “We Will Rock You” (Entire Cast)
2. He Lives in You from “The Lion King” (Gospel)
3. The Phantom of the Opera Medley from “Phantom of the Opera” (Choral)
4. Good Morning Baltimore from “Hairspray” (Glee)
5. Joyful, Joyful from “Sister Act 2” (Glee & Gospel)
6. The Time Warp from “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” (Glee)
7. All That Jazz from “Chicago” (Dance)
8. Somebody to Love from “We Will Rock You” (Choral)
9. Les Misérables Medley from “Les Misérables” (Musicians)
10. El Tango de Roxanne from “Moulin Rouge!” (Dance)
11. Beggin’ from “Jersey Boys” (Entire Cast)
12. One Day More from “Les Misérables” (Choral)
13. Musicals Medley (Musicians & Nathan Jones)
14. I Wanna Be Like You from “The Jungle Book” (Gospel)
15. We Go Together from “Grease” (Swansea Show Stoppers)
16. We Are The Champions from “We Will Rock You” (Entire Cast)